Thursday, August 27, 2009

Benton Goes to Preschool

Benton started preschool at the same school where Audrey attends last week. In general, Benton sees people in two categories: 1) his mom, and 2) not his mom. Being away from mom is more often than not reason for fretting, tears and potential yelling. This appears to be pretty rough for him, but it is excruciating for mom. It's a "phase" he's been in for about two years now.

So, we started the new school year with many prayers, lots of coaching, and a little bribery. Benton has been getting candy for going places without crying for a while now. So, in addition to candy, I upped the ante with baked goods and other treats.

Benton had a great first week. I was so incredibly grateful. His Nana was so shocked she drove 90 miles just to congratulate him on his stellar performance.

Then came Tuesday, dreadful, awful, bad, horrible Tuesday. I'll spare the details and just say that it was everything you can imagine. So, I upped the ante a little more.

Guess who didn't cry at dropoff for preschool today?

5 comments:

Sarah K. said...

LOL!!! I had to share this with everyone sitting with me at work!!

Anonymous said...

That's so cute! My middle child just started preschool. It made me sad, she was happy to be away from me.

Colleen said...

Ha! Whatever works!

Thanks for your comments about the exam - I wish I did it way back when, but I got married right after grad school, and then pregnant right away. For some reason, it's just not my time yet!

Stacey said...

I can't wait to see what bribe comes next!!! It was quite a leap from candy to cake to BUZZ LIGHTYEAR.

Lerin said...

Go, Benton! :D